Secret Societies of the University of Chicago.

The Faculty of the University of Chicago has drawn up the following resolutions in regard to secret societies;

"The faculty deems the establishment of secret societies in the University of Chicago to be undesirable. In its judgement the ends sought by these societies, so far as they are laudable, may be secured by other means which shall be free from the objection of secrecy, of rigid exclusiveness, and of antagonism to the democratic spirit which is inherent in the highest scholarship and manhood and the most exalted citizenship, and it would be deeply gratified that if the high purpose and lofty feeling of the body of students should lead them to co-operate with it by voluntarily excluding everything that make against a broadly fraternal spirit on which the University of Chicago was furnished." If chapters are organized, the following are the rules, passed by the trustees and the faculty, to which they must submit:

1. Each chapter organized must submit its house rules to the faculty for approval.

2. That each appoint a representative with whom the faculty may confer at such times as may be desirable.

3. That membership in the societies be restricted to students of the second year academic colleges and students of the university colleges.

The tendency among the students is to accept the advice of the faculty and there seems to be little chance that secret organizations will get a hold in the university.