PRINCETON SESQUICENTENNIAL.

President Cleveland Reviews the Torchlight Parade-Athletic News.

PRINCETON, October 20, 1896.

All interest is now centered about the sesquicentennial celebration which commenced today with religious services in Alexander Hall. The sermon was preached by President Patton. The subject of his discourse was "Religion in the University."

During the past week many very interesting lectures have been given by the prominent men who are here at the present time as delegates from the foreign universities Professor Edward Dowden of Trinity College, Dublin, has delivered a course of six lectures on "The French Revolution and English Literature." Felix Klein, professor of Mathematics at Gottigen, has given a series of four lectures on "The Mathematical Theory of the Top." Professor J. J. Thomson of the University of Cambridge, has given a series of four lectures on "The Discharge of Electricity in Gases," and also a lecture to the faculty, graduates and advanced students in the college on "The System of Graduate Courses in Cambridge University." Professor Andrew Seth of Edinburgh University, delivered two lectures on "Theism." Karl Brugmann, Professor of Indogermanic Philology in the University of Leipsic, delivered a lecture in German on "The Nature and origin of the Noun Genders in the Indogermanic Languages." The last of the lectures was given by A. A. W. Hubrecht, Professor of Zoology in the University of Utrecht, Holland, on "The Descent of the Primates."

On Wednesday evening the torchlight procession of the graduates and undergraduates will take place. It is the desire of the committee that has charge of this parade that everything should be done in good order, so a member from each class has been appointed to have charge of his class. The parade will start at 8.30, led by the 71st Regiment Band. Then will follow the Mercer Blues, who are a military company of undergraduates, dressed in old colonial uniforms; a delegation from Yale, the undergraduates and the graduates, the classes from 1823 to 1896 all being represented. The parade will be reviewed by President Cleveland.

The football season is now well under way and the team has been doing fairly good work. The tie game with Lafayette seemed to work up the team slightly, as has been shown by the later games with Lehigh. Indians and West Point. Alexander Moffat '84 has charge of the team and is being assisted by Lea '96 and Morse '95.

The semi-annual elections to the two literary societies took place last week, the American Whig Society having 108 new members, mostly from the entering class, and the Cliosophic Society 59.

The annual fall handicap games took place Monday afternoon on the 'Varsity Field. Only one record was broken, and that was the half-mile which Kilpatrick '99 won, beating the previous Princeton record by a second. On the whole the showing made by the track team was not as successful as was expected.

The following new men have been taken on the Glee Club: J. M. Richardson '99, Lathrop '00, R. Chipman '99, W. C. Hill '97, E. L Greene P. G., D. C. Scott '00.

DAILY PRINCETONIAN.