The Cuban Summer School.

Four transports from Cuba containing about 1270 Cuban teachers arrived at the Charlestown Navy Yard during the first few days in July. A few more teachers came later bringing the total up to 1283. All the teachers were immediately taken to Cambridge in special electric cars and assigned to their respective rooms.

On July 5th all the members of the expedition assembled in Sanders theatre and there listened to an address of welcome by President Eliot, immediately after which the teachers were divided into forty groups and assigned to class rooms in Sever, University and Harvard Halls.

The course of instruction offered to the Cuban teachers included recitations, lectures and excursions. English classes of about thirty members met twice a day including Saturday. Between the two lessons in English, lectures were given daily in Sanders Theatre. Among the subjects covered by the lectures were: Geography, U. S. History, History of the Spanish Colonies, American Schools, Psychology and Public Libraries. All the lectures were given in Spanish and many illustrated by stereopticon views. The women were also given an elementary course in kindergarten training, and the men exercises in Sloyd at the Cambridge Manual Training School. The afternoons were taken up in excursions to places of historical, geographical or industrial interest near Cambridge and all were expected to attend these excursions at least every other day.

The teachers were received most hospitably by the residents of Boston and Cambridge. Receptions in their honor were held almost every week. Twice every week dances were held in the Gymnasium under the auspices of the various Roman Catholic societies of Boston and the vicinity.

On the evening of August 14, the day previous to the Cubans' departure, a farewell concert was held in Sanders, the Cubans rendering most of the music. There, on behalf of the Cuban teachers, Senor Ruiz Tamayo of Santiago presented to President Eliot a large loving cup, nearly two feet in height, engraved with the following inscription in Spanish:

"From the Teachers of Cuba, The Pupils of the Summer School--A Testimonial of Gratitude to the Illustrious University of Harvard and its President, Charles W. Eliot.--1900."

At this concert the decorations in the theatre combined the Cuban and American flags, with the coats of arms of Harvard, Cuba, and the United States.

On August 15th the departure of the Cubans began. Before going to Cuba, however, they paid short visits to New York, Washington and Philadelphia.

The business management of the Cuban Summer School was conducted by the following: Business manager, C. C. Mann '99; secretary, W. E. Weaver 3 L.: assistant managers, H. J. Brown '02; G. M. Blakney 3 L. Holden Chapel was used as a bureau of information and as the office of the business manager. The task of setting the Cubans at once in their proper rooms on their arrival in Cambridge was provided for by the managent by assigning to the Cubans before leaving Cuba, numbered badges corresponding to their room assignments in Cambridge. Delay was thus avoided at the outset, but owing to the general unfamiliarity the Cubans showed in regard to the English language and customs, it was found necessary to provide a large corps of guides to conduct them on all expeditions outside of Cambridge.

The women were lodged in the different private houses in Cambridge, and the men in the Yard buildings. The women took lunch and dinner at Memorial Hall, breakfast being served to them in their rooms. The men took all their meals at Randall Hall.

Below is a list of instructors in the Cuban School:

English--Director, Professor E. C. Hills, Rollins College, Fla.; instructors, Mrs. C. A. Abbott, Miss Ida P. Clough, Miss J. M. Curry R '01, Miss J. M. Douglass R '01, Miss A. Fiske, Miss M. Fiske, Miss E. Forbes R '02, Miss C. A. Harper, Miss G. A. Hill, Miss F. M. Kilburn, Miss R. King, Mrs. F. L. Lawrence, Miss K. E. Leonard, Miss M. E. Loughlin, Miss E. E. Marean, Miss K. O. Peterson, Miss C. L. Pousland, Miss M. A. Solano, Miss A. M. Reed, Miss S. N. Whitman, E. L. Adams '00, A. F. Bailey '01, C. L. Bouve '99, J. F. Briggs '02, A. A. Capotosto '03, E. R. Greene '01, F. C. Gulick '00, W. S. Hayes, J. P. Hinckey '01, F. B. Holmes '02, M. Le N. King, J. A. Lester, F. W. Morrison '00, G. W. Pierce, J. D. Prindle, W. H. Reed, S. Stickney '01, H. C. Thorndike '02, A. F. Whittem '02.

Geography--Director, S. W. Jefferson; assistant in field-work, L. R. Allen, R. E. Burke, N. S. Eastman, F. S. King, C. H. Morrill '00, R. W. Stone.

History of the Spanish Colonies--Ten lectures by Mr. W. Gaspard de Coligny.

American Schools--Three lectures by Mr. E. L. C. Morse.

Psychology--Two lectures by Professor Josiah Royce.

American History--Nine lectures by Professor P. B. Marcou and nine by Dr. J. D. M. Ford.

Kindergarten--Director, Miss Laura Fisher; assistants, Miss B. H. Boardman, Miss M. S. Cutler, Miss M. I. Hamilton, Miss M. T. McCabe, Miss C. K. Peirce, Miss M. B. Pope, Miss Katherine McDonald, Miss M. F. Nowell.

Practical Exercises in Wood Work--Mr. Gustaf Larson.

Public Libraries--Mr. W. C. Lane.