Recent Gifts to University Library

From the estate of Mrs. Elizabeth C. Gay, of Boston, through her sons, Frederick Lewis Gay '78, and Ernest Lewis Gay '97, the Library has lately received a valuable and interesting addition of books. Most of the books came from the library of Mrs. Gay's father, Winslow Lewis, of the Class of 1819, M.D. 1822. Dr. Lewis was a well-known physician of Boston, and a member of the Board of Overseers from 1856 to 1868. The collection is a general one, but contains many works on Italian history and travels, including a number of valuable folio volumes of engraved plates. There are also many works on numismatics, and others of interest in English and French literature. Mr. Ernest L. Gay at the same time added to the gift a number of volumes from his own library, consisting of books relating to Napoleon and of English poetical tracts of the eighteenth century.

Mrs. Gustavus Hay, of Jamaica Plain, has given to the Library, in fulfillment of the request of her husband, the late Gustavus Hay, of the Class of 1850, M.D. 1857, a number of mathematical books collected by him. These form a remarkably well-chosen collection of valuable standard works on various branches of mathematics. Many of these works, which are already in the main Library, will be welcome additions to the library of the Department of Mathematics.

Through Mr. H. Nelson Gay, of Rome, the Curator of Italian History of the Nineteenth Century, the Library has received another large addition to the Risorgimento collection. This important accession, consisting of about seven hundred volumes and pamphlets, is in part the gift of Mr. Gay and in part bought from Library funds, but was all selected by Mr. Gay in Rome. Another shipment is on the way from him and will contain about a thousand items, partly on this same subject and partly of a miscellaneous character. Most of these were bought by Mr. Gay at the recent sale of the library of Count Crispi, in Rome.

From Mr. Charles D. Tenney, Chinese Secretary of the American Legation in Pekin, and lately Lecturer on Chinese History in Harvard University, the Library has received a valuable collection of works in Chinese. These include a long series of treaties and treaty regulations, several dictionaries, and a concordance to Chinese literature. There are in all over 250 volumes or parts.