RESERVE FORCE PROPOSED

CORPS WILL BE COMPOSED MAINLY OF YOUNG MEN TRAINED AT COLLEGES.

The recent act of Congress provides extensively and thoroughly for the building up of a corps of trained officers to command our reserve forces in time of war. For this purpose an officers reserve corps is created, which will be composed mainly of young men specially trained at colleges, military schools and camps. At certain military schools units of the Junior Division of the reserve officers training corps will be estabalished. At colleges and universities where the curriculum prescribed requires a four years course for an academic degree there will be one or more units of the senior division of the reserve officers training corps.

Since Harvard by its example of last year with its college regiment, and by the expressed wish of the University authorties, offered a field for such military training, there will be in the future as commandant of the reserve officers' training corps at Cambridge. In accordance with the plan a new department known as the Military Department has been added to the University, and Captain Constant Cordier, U. S. A., has been designated by the Secretary of War, by direction of the President, as professor of militaray science and tactics and a regular member of the faculty, as well as commandant of the reserve officers' training corps at Harvard. He will be assisted by other selected officers of the army and by non-commissioned officers who will act as additional instructors.