BLANCHARD TIES FOR FIRST PLACE IN WEIGHT THROW

TESCHNER RUNS TODAY

Members of the University placed well in two of the four events in the first day of the Pennsylvania relay carnival yesterday, W. S. Blanchard '17 making an especially good showing by tieing White of Syracuse in the 56-pound weight throw with a mark of 31 feet five inches, equalling last year's record which was also made by White. In the throw off White was given first place with a mark of 30 feet one and one-half inches, Blanchard only making 28 feet.

W. H. Meanix '19 was the other member of the University to score, placing second to Smart of Northwestern in the 440-yard hurdles, the winner being forced to make the fast time of 55 1-5 seconds. Meanix, who holds the world's record of 54 3-5 seconds in this event over three-foot hurdles, was slightly handicapped by the fact that two-foot six-inch timbers were used.

In the two other events held yesterday, Berry of Pennsylvania won the broad-jump with a leap of 20 feet seven and three-quarters inches, and Bennett of Illinois, with a throw of 141 feet nine and one-half inches, placed first in the hammer-throw. White, by placing third in this event, was the only man to score twice, for Blanchard failed to win a place.

Captain E. A. Teschner '17 and W. Moore '18 will run in the 100-yard dash today and will probably place well, as both showed up well in the indoor meets this past winter. C. S. Babbitt '18 and R. W. Harwood '20 will be the only other members of the University to compete, both being entered in the pole-vault. Harwood is an especially brilliant vaulter, holding the University interscholastic meet record, and may score at Philadelphia today.