Over 200 Undergraduates Gain Honors in Graduation Awards

Number of Degrees Awarded Is Largest Ever--Law School for First Time Gives Summa

Eighteen hundred degrees, the largest number in the history of the University, were awarded at the two hundred and ninety first Harvard Commencement exercises held in Sever Quadrangle this morning. Of the 632 degrees which were conferred on students graduating from the College 221, or more than one third were with honors. The degree of Bachelor of Arts was received by 501 undergraduates, 187 with honors, and that of Bachelor of Science by 131, 34 with honors.

Of the departments granting degrees this morning the Law Schol stood numerically second to the College. Three hundred and thirty three Bachelors of Law, two Masters of Law, and 20 Doctors of the Science of Jurispudence were graduated by this School. A feature of the Law School Commencement this year was the awarding of degrees with honors in the same manner as that traditionally followed in the College. H.J. Friendly '23 was the first law student in Harvard University to be graduated summa cum laude. He also received the Fay Diploma, which has long been the highest honor in the Law School.

In the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences 157 men won the degree of Master of Arts, 58 that of Doctor of Philosophy, and two that of Associate in Arts.

Other Schools Announce Degrees

The Engineering School graduated 42 S.B.'s and 19 Masters in the various branches of engineering or engineering sciences, and one Doctor of Science.

Among the 78 winners of the Master's degree in the Graduate School of Education were 28 women, this being the seventh year in which women have been eligible to receive Harvard degrees through work in this one department of the University. The School of Education also granted eight Doctors of Education, two being women.

The Business School graduated 288 men, 16 of them with distinction, and the Medical School graduated 186 doctors. Other departments of the University awarded degrees in lesser numbers.

The highest academic distinction in Harvard College, the A.B. or S.B. degree summa cum laude, was conferred on only six men. Prescott Niles Arnold, of Milton, Eugene Lewis Bleiweiss, of Cleveland Heights, O., Alston Hurd Chase, of Salem, Milton Irving Katz, of Brooklyn. N.Y., John Robert Richardson, of Dorchester, and Henry Franklin Williams, of Cambridge were the men who received this honor.

In addition to H.J. Friendly who received a degree summa cum laude, the Law School honored six men with degrees magna cum laude and 18 cum laude. The maguas were awarded to the following law students: Lawrence Soule Apsey '24, of Cambridge. Walter Colquitt Carter, a graduate of the University of Georgia, of Atlanta, Ga. Charles-Sprague Smith Epstein. College of the City of New York, of New York. Benjamin Goodman Jr. Princeton, of Memphis, Tenn., Livingston Hall. University of Chicago, of Chicago, and Frederick August Otto Schwartz '24, former president of the CRIMSON of Greenwich, Conn.