Tarheels Invade Stadium With Eleven Versed In Rockne Play

Strongest of North Carolina Aggregations Comes North for Game Saturday--Light, Aggressive Team Hopes to Avenge 1916 Defeat

Chapel Hill, N. C., Oct. 10--Spectators in the Stadium Saturday will have an opportunity to see at first hand the Rockne style of football as taught by Head Coach Collins of North Carolina, stellar end on Notre Dame's famous gridiron machine of 1924. Sweeping off-tackle thrusts and-end runs mixed with deceptive hidden-ball plays and not infrequent aerial stabs will be the order of the day.

The Rockne style was introduced at North Carolina three years ago and the system has had ample time to take root and become thoroughly acclimated. Each year the teams have been stronger, and indications are that this year's aggregation, with eleven veteran letter men as a nucleus, should be the first full-fledged product of the Collins version of Rockne's touted system of turning out wining football teams.

Captain Schwarz Veteran Center.

The team is built around its captain and center, Harry Schwartz, almost universally chosen as all Southern center in 1927. This is Schwartz's third year in intercollegiate competition and his wealth of experience combined with natural leadership abilities will go a long way towards keeping the team together as a fighting unit. Schwartz is not big; he stands five feet, 10 inches in height and tips the beam at only 180, but he has other qualities which will make him a man well worth watching in the battle with the Crimson.

Beside their captain, in the guard positions, will probably be Blackwood and Shuler, men of tried ability. Both are light and fast, the type of guard that can lead interference well and fits in perfectly with the Rockne notion of football. Blackwood was a star lineman on the 1927 first-year outfit and has superseded Donahue an experienced letterman in the scramble for honors this fall. Shuler, on the other hand, is playing in his last year of competition; he has been a bulwark of strength on two preceding North Carolina elevens and Coach Collins can feel sure that he will do his part in stemming the Crimson offense, from which a great deal of power and speed is expected.

Substitute Tackles Untried.

The first string tackle material is strong; what would happen in the event of an injury to one of the regulars, however, is one of the questions which may decide the outcome of Saturday's game. Howard and Farris, veteran lettermen of last season, are counted upon to hold their own, but the strength of the untried reserves in this department is an unknown quantity.

The left end position will undoubtedly be occupied by Sapp, whose 177 pounds have shown up to good advantage in two preceding campaigns. Two candidates, Presson and Holt, have been fighting it out for the other wing berth, and Coach Collins may not decide which one to start until the opening whistle calls the men to action Saturday afternoon. Presson is a letterman, but Holt too has had a good deal of experience and has a ten pound advantage over his rival who weighs only 167.

Backfield Very Light.

The backfield is composed of Whisnant, quarterback; Ward and Spaulding, halfbacks; and Foard, fullback. All these men with the exception of Spaulding have had at least one year's experience in intercollegiate competition. The extreme lightness of the quartet is noteworthy. Whisnant is the smallest, weighing only 150 while the other three range between 162 and 166. It is particularly adapted to the wide open game which the invading Tarheels will spring upon Coach Horween's heavier cohorts in Saturday's encounter.

So far this season the North Carolina warriors have played two games and emerged victorious from both. An excellent opportunity was given the coaches to try the new material in the Wake Forest contest, and the youngsters proved their ability by chalking up four touchdowns in the last period. The final score was 65 to 0. The second game, that with Maryland, showed that the North Carolina defense is not impenetrable as the Maryland offense scored 19 points while the Tarheel backs were putting 26 across.

A North Carolina football team has not visited the Stadium to engage a Harvard eleven in combat since 1916. In that year a Tarheel aggregation, coached by two Harvard graduates under the famous Haughton system, was turned back by a 21 to 0 count.