COLLEGE DRAMATISTS ENTER PROFESSIONAL RANKS AS UNIVERSITY PLAYERS' COMPANY IS ORGANIZED

SUCCESSFUL PROJECT THIS YEAR ASSURES FUTURE

The biggest project ever undertaken by college dramatists will be ventured this summer by the Dramatic Club in conjunction with the Princeton Theatre Intime, the dramatic organization at Princeton. Representatives of these two organizations, and others from Radcliffe, Smith and Vassar, will, under the name of University Players, give eight plays in the Elizabeth Theatre, Falmouth, during the eight weeks including and following July 9.

The Elizabeth Theatre is a moving picture house, but arrangement has been made with the manager whereby the University Players will have use of it on. Monday and Tuesday nights during the eight weeks in which the company will reside in Falmouth.

Members of the Dramatic Club are undertaking this project in order that students from Harvard, Princeton, and other Eastern universities, to whom the drama is a leading interest, may have an opportunity to take part in professional dramatics. If the plan proves successful this summer, officers of the Dramatic Club hope to make it an annual affair, with the company gradually being enlarged and including representatives from more universities. After a few summers of stage work at Falmouth, it is planned to open a small theatre in New York City as a further experiment.

Several well-known producers with whom the University Players are consulting, and who have expressed interest in the work are Eva LeGallienne, founder and director of the Civic Repertory Theatre in New York, Winthrop Ames and Robert Edmund Jones.

Among the plays which may be given by the college dramatists are listed "The Dover Road," by A. A. Milne, "The Torch Bearers," by George Kelley, "The Mosque of Venice," by George D. Gribble, "Beyond the Horizon," by Eugene O'Neill. The modern dress version of "The Taming of the Shrew," presented by the Dramatic Club last spring, will again be given this summer, with the same students carrying the lead roles. In addition, "Open Collars," a prize-winning play written by Erik Barnouw, of Princeton, may be presented.

During this summer's session of the acting at Falmouth all the scenery to be used in the plays will be made by the men in the cast, and the stage preparations will be entirely in their hands. The costumes will be made and cared for by the women in the cast.

During the stay at Falmouth the men of the company will live in a yacht, the "Brae Burn," at anchorage in the harbor, and the women will occupy a cottage at Woods Hole.

From Harvard there will be, in addition to Charles Leatherbee '29, President of the Dramatic Club, G. W. Harrington '30, vice-president, K. A. Perry '28, John Swope '30, F. K. Smith '29, T. B. Quigley '29, and J. H. Morris '29, Princeton will be represented by Bretaigne Windast, president of the Theatre Intime, Erik Barnouw, and others. From the Radcliffe Idler Society, there will be at Falmouth, Francis Small, former president. Margaret Cook, President of the Idler, and several others. Smith and Vassar will be represented by Miss Elizabeth Schauffler and Miss Eleanor Phelps respectively.