"POSSUM" PIXLEE'S PLAN

The athletes at Westminster College in Missouri are writing their impressions of the games in which they participate in order to store up information for guidance in future contests. James E. ("Possum") Pixlee, the Westminster director of athletics, is the originator of the idea and has thus far found it successful.

The plan is just one more symptom of the development of sport as a science. The slow-motion movies, carefully charted diagrams, athletic association magazines and publicity bureaus, highly-paid coaches who have learned their trades thoroughly in schools of experience and theory, and all the rest of the vast modern machinery of athletics are part of the same movement. One can develop this most recent addition to overemphasis, that boogey-man of undergraduate publications, or one can praise the ingenuity of the idea.

We feel more inclined, however, to sympathize with the "man who dropped the punt" and "Riegels who ran the wrong way". These poor fellows had the bad luck to commit before thousands of spectators sensational blunders which were immediately broadcast country-wide by radio and press. Now, according to Mr. "Possum" Pixlee's plan, on doning their street clothes, with the harrowing details still all too fresh in their minds, they would have to sit down and record on paper the story of their misfortunes for their own future edification.