Andover Vaulter Breaks Schoolboy Record in Stadium As Exeter Leads Rivals in Saturday's Interscholastic Meet

As large and enthusiastic a group of spectators as has gathered about the pole-vault standards at the end of the Stadium track in some time, last Saturday gave its applause to a world-record-breaking performance when Keith Brown, Andover star, cleared the bar at 13 ft. 4 5-8 in. to shatter the schoolboy mark set in 1930 by Wonsowitz of Froebel High, Gary, Indiana.

Brown, who failed in three trials only by a narrow margin to better his own newly-established record, is a nephew of R. A. Gardner, Eli bamboo expert who was first to soar successfully at 13 ft. Crimson spectators commented with regret that the new interscholastic champion is intending to join the already powerful Blue vaulting squad "Brown has a good sturdy build," Mikkola commented "though he doesn't hold himself as straight as Sutermeister. It's too early to may whether he will ever go on to break would records: he may reach 14 ft. and then stop."

Exeter achieved a decisive win in Class A with 72 points, trailed by Andover, 49 1-2 and by Worcester Academy, last year's victors, 31, Brookline High, with 21 3-5 points, was closely pressed in Class B by Lawrence High with 19 points. Watertown High won the victor's shield in Class C.

Overshadowed only by the vaulting of Brown in Class A was the victory of N. W. Goodhue of Milton Academy in the half-mile run. Goodhue, a prospective recruit for the Class of 1935's track forces, was in third place at the start of the last lap, battled for the lead against Uniacke of Huntington School for 40 yards, and held a four-yard advantage to the tape.

Triple winner in Class A was Kishon of Worcester Academy, who took the blue ribbon in the 12-pound shot put, and the hammer and discus throws.

Another record to fall was the mark of 14 3-5 seconds in the 120-yard low-hurdles set by E. E. Record '31 when representing Brookline High in 1928. Green, Newton High timber-topper turned in the new time of 14 2-5 seconds.

Coach Farrell's forces were inactive, after defending their laurels in the University handicap, while Hillman's Big Green trackmen, who invade the Stadium next Saturday, amassed 69 points, more than their two opponents combined totalled, in the first triangular meet with Columbia and Brown.