UNIVERSITY PRESS HAS NEW PUBLISHING BASE
Director's Office, Advertising, and Sales Departments Move to Quincy Street Address
New quarters for the publishing department of the Harvard University Press have been established at 38 Quincy Street. All manufacturing and accounting activities remain at the latter location, while the office of the director, Harold Murdock, and the advertising, sales, and designing departments have been moved.
The oldest date to mark the beginning of the Press is 1872, when the University bought a job printing press and a case of type to print examination papers. The Press was established as a self-contained department of the University by vote of the Corporation in 1913. For three years it operated in the basement of University Hall, whence it moved to Randall Hall due to increased work.
Last year, in addition to its work of printing examination papers and other official University material, the Press printed and published 35 books. A total of 1500 published volumes have been turned out since the inception of the department. This ranks it among the largest presses attached to American universities.