SPEECH CLINIC OPENS FOR THIRD YEAR UNDER PACKARD'S DIRECTION

INSTRUCTION AVAILABLE TO ALL UNIVERSITY STUDENTS

Frederick C. Packard '20, assistant professor of Public Speaking, yesterday afternoon at 4 o'clock opened his course in correction of speech defects to be held every Monday and Wednesday at 4:30 o'clock in Holden Chapel.

Assisting Packard is Dr. Frederick W. Ilfeld of the Hygiene department. The two men started the course three years ago to help students remove speech impediments and also to collect data on all forms of vocal disorder by means of voice recordings.

The course is open to all members of the University regardless of department. In addition to undergraduates, members of the class in past years have come from all the Graduate Schools. Thirteen men are now enrolled in the course and others desiring to enter may arrange with Packard.

It has been discovered in past instances that 80 percent of those afflicted with stuttering started under the age of six and 25 per cent of them admitted that one of their family or an intimate friend had been troubled with this speech defect.