Varsity Nine Wins Third, Northrop Star of Track Meet

MCDONALD OUT

Harvard track experienced a spectacular victory and a considerable loss Saturday in the New England Relays when Captain Alexander Northrop ran the last lap of a winning 4:17.6 mile in a bare foot and when Torbert Mac-Donald, top Crimson sprinter, collapsed in the hundred with a pulled muscle.

The mile run was the best performance of Northrop's career. Dogged by successive cases of illness he has seldom had an even chance to fulfill expectations. In last summer's Oxford-Cambridge meet he approached his worth when he did 4:19 behind Godfrey Brown. But Saturday was the best of all when he crossed the finish line five yards ahead of Rhode Island's Stan Holt. Northrop's right shoe came off at the beginning of the last quarter.

Dick Harlow, Varsity football coach, assisted MacDonald off the track when the sprinter pulled. Torbert was in third place at the time of his accident; in his trial head he beat out Warren King of Dartmouth who gained third in the finals. It is feared he will be out for the rest of the season.

Jim Lightbody was not the hero of the mile relay Saturday. Dick Gill of Boston College would have beaten him if it hadn't been for a ten yard deficit at the start of their last leg. As it was Gill closed eight yards between them, running his quarter in the excellent time of 47.8 seconds. The Harvard team which was composed of Joe Donnelly, Frannie King, Tudor Richards, and Lightbody won the race despite Gill's performance in 3 min. 22.6 seconds.

The Harvard two-mile relay also won its race. Northrop returned from his mile to run anchor. The baton was carried to him by Jack McClure, Joe Bradley, and Al Hanlon. Rhode Island was second, and the Dartmouth quartet was third.

Mike Michelman and Gill Aertsen of Harvard both jumped 5 ft. 9 in. for second and third place in the high jump. Likewise Fred MacIsaac and Win Pettingell cleared the same height, 13 ft. to gain second and third in the pole vault. John Herrick of the Crimson established a new record in the discus throw at 148 ft. 6 in.

White head Irving Folworthsny easily captured the hammer throw. His distance of 172 ft. 4 1/2 in, outclassed the other contestants. John McLaughry of Brown was second with 157 ft 9 in, and Bill Shallow of Harvard gained third with 151 ft. 8 in. In the Javelin Bert Litman gained first for Harvard. His throw get a new record with 180 ft. 7 1/2 in. His teammates completed the scoring in this event, Fulton Cahners taking second, and Ed Ford third.

The Crimson was second in the low and high shuttle relay feature. Mason Fernald, who is looking very good over the hurdles again, came very near making up the large handicap handed him but Rhode Island beat him out by a few feet. Fernald's time for the 110 yard highs was 15.8 on the gress.

Bob Partlow starred for the Harvard Freshman. He won the high jump, tied for first in the broad, and ran lead off on the winning sprint relay. He set a new record in the high jump at 5 ft. 11 1-8 in. His tie in the broad jump at 22 ft. 6 1-8 in. also sets a new record. The sprint, relay, composed of Partlow, David Ives, Don Donahue, and Charles Smith finished the 440 in 44.2 seconds.

Andrew Rosenberger won the pole vault at 11 ft. 6 in. His vaulting-mate Donahue was third with 11 ft. John Budlong was second in the discus with 113 ft. 9 in. In the javelin Freshman Tom Lacoy took second with 160 ft. 10 inches, and Charles Oldfather was third with seven feet less.