WSC Moves to Relieve Blood Plasma Shortage

In an effort to relieve a critical situation. Allen H. Barton '45, member of the War Service Committee in charge of the blood donor service, announced last night that an intensive drive for student contributions would be undertaken in the near future.

Revealing that only 10 percent of undergraduates were making donations to the Boston blood bank, Barton said, "Ships of our merchant marine are now forced to sail in the dangerous war zones without supplies of blood plasma because of inadequate contributions."

Although exact figures are not available, approximate calculations showed that Winthrop has led College contributions since last September by giving 45 pints of blood. Dunster took second place by donating 34 pints, and Lowell third with 30 pints. Thirty pints were also given by Freshmen living in the Yard. Plaeng fourth among the Houses was Leverett giving 23 pints. Twenty-one pints were received from Adams and seven each from Eliot and Kirkland.

Barton also pointed out the shipments of blood plasma given by College students in September 1941 helped save many lives at Pearl Harbor after the disaster on December 7.