LT. COMDR. SIDNEY TULLY AWARDED PURPLE HEART

Officer Wounded in South Pacific Action

Between his graduation from Yale in 1933 and attachment to the staff of the Professor of Naval Science and Tactics at Harvard, Lt. Comdr. Sidney Kennedy Tully, USNR, has had an active life, including several tours of sea duty in combat zones. He was recently awarded the Purple Heart citation for wounds received in Pacific action.

Having completed Naval ROTC training while an undergraduate, Comdr. Tully was commissioned into the Reserve and was on the inactive list until November, 1940. During this time, he continued his training by joining Boston's First Reserve Battalion in 1937, and was promoted to the rank of lieutenant (j.g.) in 1939.

After the outbreak of the war, Comdr. Tully was Gunnery Officer of the Navy transport U.S.S. Harry Lee, which had the distinction of serving as training ship for Guadalcanal's famed First Marine Division. Subsequent transfers took him to the transport U.S.S. Calvert, and then to the U.S.S. Charles J. Badger. On the latter ship, a 2100 ton destroyer, he served as Gunnery Officer in the spring of 1943, with the rank of lieutenant.

It was during the fall of the same year that Comdr. Tully went to the destroyer U.S.S. Norman Scott as Executive Officer. Having completed missions in the invasion of Saipan and Guam, the Scott was covering the landings on Tinian when Jap shore batteries scored hits with six 6-inch shells.

The Scott's commanding officer was killed in this action, and control of the ship passed to Comdr. Tully, who was injured himself. In spite of serious damage, the ship's guns destroyed the enemy batteries, and she withdrew under her own power.

The Scott was repaired at the Mare Island Navy Yard, and a full length movie entitled "Navy Yard" was based on the work done there.

Listing destroyer duty as the number one preference, "definitely," Comdr. Tully has served on five cans, three battleships, and two transports in tours at sea