Cheerleaders Cheer as 5 Gridiron Wins Send Crimson Spirits Soaring

Plan Bigger and Better Things To Culminate in Stupendous New Flash Card Techniques

Concentrating the exuberance of a rooting section scattered from the heights of midfield to the depressions of the end zone provides a major headache for 11 white-jerseyed cheerleaders, who, at the close of every football afternoon, must also find medication for hoarse throats and strained limbs, acquired in whooping it up for 11 other guys in Crimson.

Traditional Harvard indifference is hardly evident these days in support of an undefeated club, which, incidentally, by raising the spirit, constitutes a high-grain aspirin for the headache. Gratifying, indeed, according to Jerry Spear, chief of the cheerleaders, are the spontaneous yells and songs, in addition to the organized chants and locomotives.

Hoping that students will become more familiar with the songs and cheers, printed copies of which are to be distributed in the dining halls before the games, Spear and his cohorts promise to contribute to further demonstrations by cooking up a few spectaculars in their three practice sessions per week.

Card for Each Seat

Expected for the Rutgers clash are flash-cards for stunts between the halves. Each seat in the nominal cheering section will have a piece of cardboard, crimson on one side and white on the other. The cheerleaders will signal a number to the men in the stands, who will merely have to look on their cards to see which color is appropriate for their positions. Another signal and the Harvard side of the Stadium will metamorphose from a sea of drab overcoats into waves of color, depicting "the banks of the old Raritan," bears, bulldogs, or what-have-you.

"The success of this venture depends upon the number of people we can persuade to stay in their seats during the intermission," said Spear, calling for co-operation in performing not only a difficult feat, but also one of the few flash-card demonstrations on the East coast. "Little physical exertion and moderate discretion are all that are required for the desired effect," Spear concluded.