Psychologists to Lecture in Cellar Of Memorial Hall

Glass Brick, Fluorescent Light Liven Up Civil War Relic

Officially moved into its new quarters in the basement of Memorial Hall last week, the research arm of the old Psychology Department is putting the final touches to its glass bricked, fluorescent-lighted offices.

Lack of a few critical materials, especially those needed for electrical wiring, is preventing the swift completion of the project, but Edwin B. Newman, associate director of the Psychological Laboratories, expects the remaining divisions of the department to be moved in within six weeks.

New Addition

The new laboratory is an addition to the three-year-old Psycho-Acoustic workshop which did special research in sound during the war in the Memorial Hall labs and in the giant anechoic chamber on Oxford Street. Vastly exceeding the size of its forerunner, the Psychological Laboratory now covers the whole remaining space in Mem Hall's cavernous cellar, and in addition has taken over the long-abandoned commons kitchen on the first floor.

The two rooms formed from the old kitchen will serve as a lecture room and an undergraduate laboratory, and the lecture room awaits only the installation of seats for the inauguration of the first regular classes over to be held in Mem Hall. Psychology 10 will have the first opportunity to use the new quarters.

In spite of the progress that is marked by the completion of this project, no fanfare opening, similar to that of the Computation Laboratory last month, is planned by the department; but Newman conceded that the staff might do a little elbow bending when the last electrician packs his tools and the white mice are ensconced in their modernistic quarters.