'Cliffedweller Dwelling at Kirkland House

Shutters Precedent with Dean's Approval

There's a Radcliffe senior living in Kirkland House.

Her name is Dorothea and she's the daughter of Edward Reynolds '15, Administrative Vice President. She is also the wife of Harlan P. Hanson '46, assistant dean and senior tutor of the House, which makes her full name Mrs. Harlan P. Hanson.

"I was going to teach when I got out of college," the pretty Radcliffe girl said yesterday, "but no, I guess I'll just be a Kirkland House housewife."

The possibility of such an unprecedented event ever taking place first occurred last February when Mr. and Mrs. Hanson became engaged. "We figured on it then," she said smiling, "but we never imagined it would receive much publicity."

The problem of studying, cooking, and keeping house in a D entry apartment isn't too difficult, Mrs. Hanson pointed out, as she surveyed the comfortably furnished living room with a careful eye. But it does have its drawbacks

"Walking into the house during the day is simple enough, but at first, when I left at 9 a.m. with books under my arm, I was bound to receive a few questioning stares. It isn't so bad any more, because the students in the House have learned who I am."

The young married couple may only eat together in the House dining hall when they were married on June 30, Mrs. Hasson know how to boil an egg. Since that time, through a rigorous program of experimentation, her culinary skills have expanded.