'Red Book' Reveals 'Cliffe's Mores

"It is imperative that Radcliffe girls be recognized as girls." Helpful information of this sort is put forth every year in the Annex Red Book, a paper-bound booklet that serves as a primer to incoming 'Cliffedwellers. Freshmen also find out how to play the game of "Getting Along at College," "Meeting People," and "Marrying a Harvard Man."

Under the heading of Men and Dates, the Red Book gives some big-sisterly advice. For instance, freshmen learn that Radcliffe girls are expected to act like ladies." This sort of information tips off girls who have the wrong idea of Radcliffe, and generally helps to clear the atmosphere.

The Red Book takes a dim view of careless methods of getting acquainted. "Don't date a friend of a friend of Bill Morton's; that's pretty hazy. As for the man who sits next to you in Psychology, well, you have eyes, haven't you? Pick-ups at the corner drug store and unchaperoned visits to a man's appartment are Out." It may be added here that most men don't ask Radcliffe girls to their apartments, that there are never any good-looking men in Psychology, and that most 'Cliffedwellers go to the corner drugstore for sandwiches and aspirin.

The authers of the freshman guidebook take a strong stand against untidiness. Smoking on the street and blue jeans are taboo, they warn. They rhapsodize the beauties of Radcliffe, but swoop swiftly to earth again, thusly: "Ivy walls notwithstanding, Radcliffe is an urban college. Radcliffe in the spring is lovely. The apple tree is in full bloom and the grass is green and inviting. But the Radcliffe Yard is not Coney Island. Don't sprawl about; even exam period is not an excuse for unladylike behavior."

The Red Book comes out every year, graced by new names, new photographs, and new words. But the message is generally the same--the advisibility of Hard Work, Ladylike Appearance, and no smoking in the street.

Generations of Radcliffe girls have read and presumably digested the Red Book. That is probably why so few of them are unladylike, and practically none smoke in the street.