'Cross Burners' Disciplined, Say No Malice Was Implied

By Philip M. Cronin

The Administrative Board yesterday put on probation two freshmen who burned a cross in the Yard on February 5. Dean Bender, in announcing the action stated, "the Administrative Boards is satisfied that this deplorable incident was not intended as a demonstration of racial or religious animosity on the part of those responsible. The act has met with strong and general condemnation on the part of University officials and the student body."

In an interview with the CRIMSON last night, the two freshmen, whose identity will remain anonymous, stated: "We honestly say that the incident was meant only as a prank and sincerely felt that the incident would be passed aside as harmless."

The students said that "actually little thought was given to the prank." They pointed out however, "we are very hostile to the Ku Klux Klan because we are aware of the terrible things the Klan has done."

As you can see from the date, we committed the act between semesters at the time when we had little to do. We just did it for a little excitement, they stated.

In recounting the incident, the two said: "On February 5, we built and set fire to a cross-shaped structure in the Harvard Yard. Having heard of college pranks, we foolishly undertook this act. We honestly did not want the type of conclusion drawn from this act that has been.

"We meant no malice and definitely did not design the incident to hurt the feelings of any individual or race. Furthermore, nothing was further from our minds than creating the delicate situation which has resulted. We honestly say that the incident was meant only as a prank and sincerely felt that the incident would be passed aside as harmless.

"Therefore, since the result of the incident became so serious, we felt that the only correct thing to do was to come forward immediately in order that, first, the University might settle the affair and thus relieve the tension which our act has placed upon it and, secondly, to show as best we can that we are deeply sorry for what we have done. We sincerely apologize for the trouble we have caused and stand ready and very willing to do all in our power to compensate for the damage we have done."

Meanwhile, a petition distributed by the Liberal Union and the Society for Minority Rights has been signed by 467 students in three Houses. The petition condemns the act as not at all representative of the student body.

Frank Rhuland Jr. '54, president of the Society for Minority Rights, stated that by publicizing the incident, the group hoped to accomplish two things first to make those guilty realize the viciousness of their act, second, to make the Harvard community realize that there are bigots in our midst, to destroy the smug 'it-can't-happen-here' attitude."