Progressive Colleges Established in Nation In Last Sixty Years

The past 60 years have seen several significant ventures toward establishing new centers of higher education in this country. John D. Rockefeller led to the first in 1890 when he donated $600,000 for founding a university in Chicago.

The University of Chicago grew rapidly. Twelve years after its incorporation, it added a Divinity School, a Law School, a Medical School, and a School of Education with the unique feature of a "practice school system" for kindergarden, elementary, and secondary classes.

Reed College Progressive

The founding of Reed College in Portland, Oregon, in 1911 was another important advance in recent history of American education. Reed has become reknowned for its progressive educational and administrative policies. Students are not told their marks. Instead, they receive only comments on their work from faculty advisors.

The University of California has maintained a vigdrous program of expansion since it was established at Berkeley in 1868. Since 1912, extension campuses have sprung up in Davis, Riverside, Santa Barbara, and Los Angeles.