Egg Hits Dean In Cornell Riot

Cayuga's waters reverberated with the aftermath of Friday's riot in which 1500 Cornell students splattered the Dean of Men, Frank C. Baldwin, with an egg. The students were protesting a proposed ruling that co-eds no longer be permitted to attend unchaperoned parties in off-campus rooming-houses.

In swift retaliation, the dean announced the suspension of four undergraduates who allegedly incited the melee. Among them was J. Kirk Sale, son of the chairman of the Cornell English Department and former editor of the Cornell Daily Sun.

The sign-carrying, egg-throwing mob vented its spleen against the apparent inequities of the proposed ruling, vilifying particularly Cornell president Deane W. Malott and Miss Theresa Humphreyville, Chairman of the Committee on Student Activities.

Some non-fraternity rioters reasoned that to ban Cornell girls from unchaperoned off-campus parties would constitute discrimination, for the University sanctioned its daughters' participation at chaperoned fraternity parties (sic).

The CRIMSON apologizes for having printed last week a story from the Spring Weekend issue of the Sun which told of a faculty crack-down on the rowdy, immature, and irresponsible undergraduate body. The story was a hoax.