Tuition to Rise to $1520; Total Includes Health Fee

Equal Increase Expected at 'Cliffe; Bundy Blames Rising Expenses For Higher College Charges

By Claude E. Welch jr.

College tuition rates will jump $200 next year, the third hike since 1955. Combined with health service fees, tuition costs will reach $1,520 in 1961-62, an increase of slightly more than 15 percent.

Radcliffe tuition is expected to rise accordingly, although no official announcement has yet been made.

The increase in rates will affect undergraduates and first-year graduate students only. Tuition in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences had been increased $250 this year, and the new raise will not apply to second-year or later graduate students.

"We have no choice," Dean Bundy commented yesterday, "unless we are to cut back in the quality of our work." Attributing the hike to "rising costs," he pointed out that Faculty salaries rose $500,000 this year. Maintenance charges have gone up about five per cent annually.

Financial assistance will increase along with the tuition hike, according to Wallace McDonald '44, Director of Financial Aids. "We are prepared to see that no student drops out of college for financial reasons," he noted.

McDonald expected both that more students would apply for aid and that the general level of awards would be raised. The increase in assistance--whether by scholarship, loan, or employment--will be determined on an individual basis.

Radcliffe's decision probably will be made Monday. By agreement with the Corporation, Radcliffe instruction charges are fixed at the same level as Harvard's, and President Bunting deemed an increase "certain."

Before determining the amount of the rise, Dean Bundy had considered transferring some of the costs presently charged to room rents--such as House library maintenance--to tuition. This suggestion was dropped, however, to keep the rate equal for resident and non-resident students.

With the new rate of $1,520--chosen in part since it is divisible by eight--tuition at the College will reach about the same level as Princeton and Yale.