19th Liquor License May Invade Square

Harvard students may be stocking their liquor chests from nineteen nearby sources instead of eighteen if a young local entrepreneur has his way.

Twenty-one year old Frank R. Cardullo, of Cardullo's, Inc, at 6 Brattle Street, tried to convince an understaffed License Commission earlier this week that he should be granted the transfer of a liquor license from an East Cambridge establishment.

Three opposing lawyers representing local liquor merchants gave protest, implying that business would be diluted and that the present liquor license situation in Harvard Square is "disgraceful."

It was also argued that there are already 18 liquor licenses in an area of 700 square feet (sic) around the Square. The opposition contended further that the law banning licenses within 500 feet of schools and churches would be violated, since the Cardullo establishment is just 452 1/2 feet from the First Church, Unitarian.

Cardullo's lawyer rebutted that the distance should be measured from the middle of the street, not from the store door along the sidewalk. The prospective proprietor himself, in a CRIMSON interview, protested that "the way we measured the distance, it came out over 500 feet."