Jane Fonda Visits Hasty Pudding; Ceremony Honors 'Woman of Year'

At noon Saturday, the plane carrying Jane Fonda arrived at Logan Airport, as members of the Hasty Pudding, eagerly awaiting their "Woman of the Year," clustered around. A tall, gaudily dressed figure, with height arange shoes and white and emarked.

That wasn't Jane Ponda Miss Fonds several minutes later, and to he considerably shorter, farmer plainly dressed, and several shades than the spectacle who her.

it wasn't a very goal which presented the award as part of the for .

Miss Fonda was scheduled to arrive at Legan at 10:45 a.m. but the combination of weather conditions and the flight engineers' strike detained her more Pudding members wandered around the airport the writers of "Pro and Con," Peter A Binestone '62 and Walter II. Meses, Jr' 62 worked on the score.

"Who's Henry Fonda's wife?" one asked the other, and the reply was, "Mrs. Fonda." One eavesdropper suggested that that line might be used in the show.

After Tadhg Sweeney '61 gave her a box of red roses, Miss Fonda remarked. "When I looked out the plane window and saw you all march out in a line to meet me, I got so scared."

The Pudding hustled Miss Fonda and her press agent, Peggy Walters, into a waiting black Cadillac limousine; they were already too late for Miss Fonda's tour of the Loeb, and they didn't want to miss lunch. One airline passenger said to a taxi driver, "Miss Fonda? Where'd she go?" and the cabbie answered, "She just went out the door with some kids."

Miss Fonda was greeted by about 100 eager onlookers at the Pudding building. As the entourage moved inside, one spec- iator remarked rather loudly, "Lunch!" It was not exactly clear what he meant.

Looking more like two college kids on a date than anything else, John A. Ten Brook '61, president of Theatricals, and Miss Fonda chatted before the award was made. Ten Brook was telling for perhaps the fourth time that morning how he and two of his brothers had got three shoe-shines for the price of one.

During the presentation, Ten Brook read from a scroll, "The Hasty Pudding has always held womanhood and acting ability in high esteem..." Miss Fonda giggled