FBI Finds Peace March Free of Red Influence

Maryland Dean Makes Charges

By Lawrence W. Feinberg

The Federal Bureau of Investigation said last week that the student disarmament demonstration planned for Washington on Feb.16 and 17 was "clear" of Communist influence.

After a brief check, the FBI told Helen Clark, dean of women at the University of Maryland, that her fears of Communist infiltration of the movement were unfounded.

The demonstration is sponsored by the Student Turn Toward Peace, which includes Student SANE, the Student Peace Union and an ad hoc Boston Committee chaired by Todd A. Gittlin '63, vice-chairman of Tocsin.

With assurance from the FBI, Dean Clark permitted senior Harriet Siscovick to continue organizing a Maryland group to participate in the protest. Earlier, Sirs. Clark had removed a leaflet describing the event which was written by Gitlin.

Reactionary Students

Miss Siscovick told the CRIMSON yesterday that Mrs. Clark acted after receiving complaints from "reactionary" students in her dormitory. Mrs. Clark also warned students not to be carried away by emotionalism because "there may be Communists in this."

Both Gitlin and Donald Clark, Washington coordinator for the demonstration, said they were not aware of any FBI action.

Harvard Participation

Meanwhile, Gitlin said he expects some 250 Harvard students to participate in the protest. It will include talks with Congressmen and administration officials, and picketing in front of the White House.

More than 45,000 leaflets describing the demonstration have been distributed throughout the country in preparation for the event.

Tocsin is doing the legwork at Harvard. Although Gitlin, is one of the leading figures in the national movement, he said it is not primarily a Tocsin project.

A policy statement adopted by the Student Turn Toward Peace charges that the United States is "fighting a rear-statement also opposes civil defense and