Nobel Winner Selected As University Professor

Nobel Prize-winner John F. Enders, pioneering research on viruses and vaccines against polio and measles been named Higgins University professor, effective July 1.

professor of Bacteriology and Immunology at the Children's Hospital, joins other distinguished --among them Paul A. Freund, Richards, and Paul Tillich--honored with University Professorships.

Enders shared the Nobel Prize for and Physiology in 1954 with his Dr. Frederick C. Robbins and Dr. Thomas H. Weller. Their success in poliomyelitis virus in cultures of from human embryos made possible the development of vaccines to combat the disease.

Since 1949 medical scientists, using similar tissue culture methods, have isolated some 50 disease-causing viruses. During World War II Enders himself isolated strains of viruses responsible for mumps and lator produced a partially successful vaccine against it.

In more recent years, Enders and his fellow workers at Children's Hospital have isolated and grown the measles virus in tissue culture and have prepared a measles vaccine which is currently being tested in man. Co-author of a text on immunity, Enders has contributed chapters on viral infections for a number of other books.

Enders received a M.A. in English from Harvard in 1922, but entered the field of medical microbiology in 1927. For over 15 years he worked in the lab of Hans Zinsser, bacteriologist at the Medical School, who had influenced him to switch fields.

Eight Promoted

At the same meeting during which it approved Enders' appointment, the Board of Overseers promoted eight men to full professorships: Rogers G. Albritton, professor of Philosophy; John M. Bullitt '43, professor of English; Wendell H. Furry, professor of Physics; Roy J. Glauber '45, professor of Physics; Henry A. Kissinger '50, professor of Government; Bernhard Kummel, professor of Geology; Zeph Stewart, professor of Greek and Latin; and Renato Tagiuri, professor of Social Sciences in Business Administration.

Associate professorships were approved by the Overseers for three men: William A. Klemperer '50, associate professor of Chemistry; Shlomo Z. Sternberg, associate professor of Mathematics; and Stephen Williams, associate professor of Anthropology. Richard E. Pipes was named associate director of the Russian Research Center, and Richard E. Schultes '37, curator of Economic Botany.

Appointed to chairs were the following: Oscar Handlin, Winthrop Professor of History; William Liller '48, Robert Wheeler Willson Professor of Applied Astronomy; Louis Loss, William Nelson Cromwell Professor of Law; Kenneth V. Thimann, Higgins Professor of Biology. Also approved: Charles P. Lyman '36, member of the Faculty of the Museum of Comparative Zoology.

The Overseers approved these term appointments: Walter J. Kaiser '54, assistant professor of English and Comparative Literature; Arnold C. Cooper, assistant professor of Business Administration; Francois C. Vigier, assistant professor of Urban Design; Albert R. Diebold, Jr., assistant professor of Social Anthropology; Jerome H. Kiotz, professor of Statistics; and Gluck, assistant professor of Mathematics.

Also: Arthur S. Couch, lecturer on Social Relations; Curtis H. Jones, lecturer on Business Administration, Anne D. Ferry, lecturer on English General Education; Marshall D. man, research associate in the Research Center; Hiller B. Zobel Lawrence K. Wroth, research associate in Law; Julius G. Getman, Stanley Johanson, and Robert C. Berry, fellows in Law.

In addition: C. Crane Brinton low in Dunster House; Preston K. and Sholem Postel, assistant directors of the University Health Services, John C. Wells, Jr., physician to the University Health Services; Mircea research fellow in Physics on the Cambridge Electron Accelerator; and Tonis, Security Officer and Chief of University Police

Eight Promoted

Eight Promoted

Eight Promoted