YD Execs Fail To Back Ted Kennedy

As expected, the Executive Committee of the Harvard Young Democrats (YDCHR) yesterday voted without objection to recommend to the club's membership that it endorse Endicott "Chub" Peabody for Governor in the November election.

The club mentioned no other names. By omitting his name from the resolution the committee refused to recommend endorsement of Edward M. "Ted" Kennedy '54 for Senator. Kennedy is running against Republican George Cabot Lodge '50 and Independant H. Stuart Hughes for the seat once held by President Kennedy.

Although many Committee members are backing Hughes in the election, they felt the YDCHR's status as an official agency of the Democratic Party would prevent it from coming out actively against Kennedy.

Anti-Kennedy Feeling

The extent of the anti-Kennedy feeling on the Committee was revealed when John A. Rava 3L of the Law School Young Democrats, a self - proclaimed Kennedy man, asked the members if there was any sentiment for starting a club for his candidate in the College.

Several members said there was some such sentiment. Rava then asked if any Committee members would work with such a group. None of the eleven volunteered.

Harry F. Greene '63, president of the Young Democrats, said that in addition to backing Peabody the general membership might also endorse State Representative candidate William Homans, who has a lot of support in the Harvard community. The general membership meets Oct. 4.