Perdew Fund Nets $1000 In Dining Halls

20 Students Go To Washington to Lobby

The John W. Perdew Fund has ended the dining hall phase of its drive with one-fifth of its $5000 goal and has begun door-to-door-solicitation.

Howard Shecter '65, chairman of the fund, announced yesterday that about $00 had been netted so far and that the drive will continue throughout this week.

Another civil rights group, an ad hoc committee of 20 students, led by William R. Crout, teaching fellow in Cen Ed, left Cambridge for Washington yesterday morning to lobby for the passage of Title X. This legislation would allow Perdew and other imprisoned demonstrators to remove their cases quickly from state to federal courts.

At present, only a federal district judge can consent to this action. Under Title X a civil rights demonstrator could appeal his petition for removal.

Will Ask Other Schools

The Perdew fund plans to ask for contributions from the undergraduate political and social clubs and from the faculty. Shecter noted that fund-raising may begin at neighboring colleges in a week or two but that such collection would not start before the Harvard-Radcliffe drive ends.

He commented that collection in the Freshman Union fell far short of expectation. "Each House has given more than the Union," he said.

Radcliffe's door-to-door drive, directed by Karel Weissberg '65, will also continue through the week. No dining hall collections have been made at Radcliffe.

Some anonymous contributions have appeared in the collection boxes. One envelope contained a $50 bill and a note saying "For the John Perdew Fund."

Will Ask Other Schools