Varsity Dumps Judges 25-3; 14 Scored in Seventh

By J. MICHAEL Crichton

Unpredictable as ever, the baseball team bounced back from its 7-5 loss at Princeton last weekend to clobber Brandeis, 25-3. Irrepressible Crimson sluggers worked their way through three Brandeis pitchers, and came up with a phenomenal 14-run hitting spree in the seventh inning.

The varsity got off to a good start, scoring twice in the first inning on singles by Combs, Bilodeau, and Bartolet. Another run in the second, and three more in the third put Harvard ahead, 6-1. Though the game was clearly out of their hands, the Judges maintained some semblance of control, and by the end of the sixth Harvard had managed to score just twice more. But the fun way just beginning.

First baseman Tom Stephenson opened the seventh inning on a hopeful note with a grand slam home run, knocking in Combs, Bilodeau, and Bartolet. Even Dick Diehl couldn't match that: all he was able to come up with three costly errors in the inning, and three walks.

Terry Bartolet, who, like everyone else, had a fine day at the plate, kept the eighth inning from being anticlimactic by rapping out another homer that scored two.

As the score indicates, Brandeis pitchers had along hard day on the mound. Particularly discouraged must have been the Judges' Boudreau, the first relief pitcher. He came in after five hitters, and left after 14; he allowed six hits, nine earned runs, three walks and failed to retire a single batter. Del Rossi gave up six hits and struck out five as he pocketed his sixth win of the year.

Today at 3 p.m., the Crimson meets Holy Cross at Kindlestick Park in what should be a more challenging encounter.