FSM Ecstatic Over Apparent Victory

BERKELEY, Calif., Dec.9--While declaring that "the victory is not yet complete," leaders of the Free Speech Movement at the University of Californin campus here were jubilant today as they held a victory rally to celebrate the faculty's overwhelming acceptance of their demands. Tuesday.

"We are entering a new world where the faculty and the students are the voice of the university," one leader cheered.

The more than 6000 students in the plaza, scene of countless bitter protest rallies, rose to sing happy birthday to FSM leader Mario Savio when he came to the microphone. Tuesday was Savio when he came to the microphone. Tuesday was Savio's birthday, and he called the Academic Senate vote in support of the students "the best birthday present I've ever had.'

Savio warned the students. "Now that we have won our freedom, we have to be sure to exercise that freedom with the same responsibility we used in winning it."

But, though the unprecedented Academic Senate vote gave indications of a new order on the campus, FSM lenders warned that the University Regents still have to approve the ruling. This approval is far from assured.

A total victory for the FSM would affect much more than just regulations on speech and political activities.

In its meeting, the faculty both challenged the Regents' edict and announced that it intends to take an active part in the administration of the university. If accepted and implemented by the Regents, the Senate's resolution could change basic policies and methods of administration at the University of California.

No Amnesty

Another problem facing the FSM is the fate of the 814 persons arrested during the sit-ins last week in the administration building.

The FSM had hoped for amnesty from Gov. Edmund J. Brown but this afternoon he issued a statement saying. "It should be clear to the members of the Free Speech Movement that in a society governed by law, the decision to defy the law must include a decision to accept the conse-quences. I have considered the question of amnesty carefully and may decision is final. It will not intervene."

Most students face charges which could bring them up to 2 years in jail and fines of $200.