Women Invade Glee Club Concert But 'Fair Harvard' Remains Male

Spokesmen for the Yale Glee Club said yesterday they will not return to Harvard for the traditional Harvard-Yale football concert two years from now unless their women members are taken care of "the way they should be."

Last May the Harvard Glee Club had requested that Yale not bring its female members to the concert. Haywood Torrence Jr. '71, president of the Harvard Glee Club, said yesterday, "In my opinion, the Harvard-Yale Football Concert with all its traditions-the type of music and the spirit of the weekend-should be an all-men affair."

Last month, Yale replied that it would not participate in the concert at all unless it could bring the women members. Harvard conceded but refused to provide housing for the women.

Robert A. Hutchinson '71, manager of the Harvard Glee Club, said he couldn't ask the Radcliffe Choral Society to house the Yale women without inviting them to join the concert, adding, "We would rather sing alone than sing with the Radcliffe Choral Society."

Fenno Heath, president of the Yale Glee Club, said that after this issue was settled, the Harvard Glee Club conductor then refused to let them sing "Fair Harvard" at the end of the concert. Instead of both clubs singing both alma maters, Harvard vacated the stage leaving Yale to sing alone. In protest, the Yale men and women sang their alma mater arm-in-arm. The Harvard club then returned to stage and mimicked the Yale club, with an all-male version of the same stunt.

Hutchinson said Harvard had insisted on singing alone because Yale had done so last year.