Matthews Loses; Succeeds Where Campaign Strong

Former CRIMSON editor A. Douglas Matthews '66 conducted a "new politics" campaign for State Representative in a Cambridge district, but was defeated for election by a wide margin.

Matthews said, however, he had done better in this district, Third District of Middlesex Country, than any Republican in the past ten years.

Matthew received 21 per cent of the vote while his opponents. Democratic incumbents Charles F. Flaherty and Timothy W. Hickey, received 41 per cent and 38 per cent respectively. The three candidates were running for two seats.

"If we don't change things pretty God damn soon, things are going to go to pot," Matthews said, stating his purpose for running. "I guess you could call ours an 'under 30' campaign."

The Third District is made up of Cambridge Wards 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11 and Belmont Precincts 7 and 8.

Matthews carried Ward 7 in Cambridge over Hickey and Precinct 8 in Belmont over both opponents but he said he was "creamed" by a 4 to 1ratio in Wards 9, 10 and 11 of Cambridge.

Expressing optimism about the election despite its outcome, Matthews said, "Everywhere we did serious campaigning, we did very well."

"It's like we held off the Indians for two hours instead of one before they overran the camp," he said.