Students to Confront Polaroid Chief Land

Edwin H. Land '29, president and chairman of the Board of the Polaroid Corporation, will speak on the new concept of "colorvision" at a colloquium at Jefferson Hall at the Law School at 4 p. m. today.

And a group of students angered at his company's allegedly racist commercial dealings with South Africa plan to confront him there.

Members of the Harvard-Radcliffe Liberation Alliance (HRLA), the National Movement Against Apartheid (NMAA) and the Polaroid Revolution-ary Workers Movement (PRWM) will meet at Jefferson at 3 p. m., an hour before Land's scheduled address, to plan the demonstration.

The students plan to question Land about Polaroid's ID-2 camera system and its use by the South African government. The ID-2 processes color photographs and seals them in indestructible plastic along with various coded information about the individual it has been programmed for.

The government of South Africa has used the ID-2 to implement its "pass law," which requires that all blacks in the country carry a coded color-photograph identification card at all times. When hundreds of blacks protested the law at a police station in Sharpsville, South Africa, on March 21, 1960, 67 were killed and 108 wounded.

Revolutionary Scientist

Among those challenging Land will be Caroline Hunter, a PRWM member and a former assistant photographic scientist at Polaroid's Cambridge plant who was fired last November 17 for advocating a boycott of the company's products. Hunter, who has already helped organize a boycott at M. I. T., plans to set up picket lines at the Harvard Coop this week.

The planners of this afternoon's demonstration have not decided on the exact tactics they will use against Land. However, Al Weinrub (NMAA) says, "We want him [Land] to talk on black and white, instead of color."