Black Activist Advocates Student Support of Strike

By Nicholas Lemann

Harvard undergraduates should join in the Graduate Student and Teaching Fellow Union strike Monday, a black women's rights activist said last night.

Florence Kennedy said that "the best thing you can do for this school is to have strikes, because otherwise you get lock-bowels from all the shit you have to take."

Kennedy also said that she plans to sponsor a women's "pee-in" in the Yard to protest the lack of womens' bathroom facilities at Harvard. She said the "pee-in" will be held in late May when she is in Boston for a feminists' convention at Boston University.

"If you had to give the world an enema," Kennedy said, "you would put it in Harvard Yard. This has got to be the asshole of the world."

Kennedy urged the Currier House audience to join in any active anti-establishment movement rather than restricting themselves to one cause. "If the graduate students are moving, those of you in the movement should be there. Only don't stay long enough to get thrown in jail," she said.

Kennedy said that Harvard's Afro-American Studies program is "disgraceful" and its Women's Studies "outrageous." She said that black students at Harvard should be given an allblack House into which no whites would be allowed to enter.

The Crimson also came under Kennedy's wide-ranging attack. She cited The Crimson's cutting of a black woman candidate as proof that it is "a racist, sexist, elitist, noble-nigger paper" and said that "it ain't even good."

Martin L. Kilson, professor of Government, said that Kennedy's speech was "entertaining, but not much else."