Crimson Kickers Lose, 2-0, To Strong Penn Offense

By Michael K. Savit, Special to The Crimson

PHILADELPHIA, PA.--The Crimson booters came riding in here on broom-sticks last night, but when they left they were whiter than ghosts, as they dropped a 2-0 decision to the Penn Quakers.

Evening its Ivy record at 2-2, Harvard proved about as graceful on the damp astroturf of Franklin Field as a gorilla on roller skates. The Crimson was simply unable to maintain any consistency on offense, before two second-half defensive lapses proved to be its undoing.

The game began innocuously enough with a play centering around midfield for the most part. Penn's Rich McMahon had the best scoring chance in the opening minutes but his semi-break went by the boards as he shot wide and to the left of Crimson goalie Fred Herold.

With seven minutes remaining in the half, the Quakers picked up the attack and, with the temperature dropping a degree a minute, came within a witch's eyelash of scoring.

First, a Sean O'Donnell bullet was somehow picked off by Herold. The rebound bounced in front of the net, was temporarily cleared by the Crimson defense, and then successive shots were stopped in front of the Penn net before the ball was finally kicked out of play.

A minute later, Lyman Bullard broke free down the right sideline, but his shot was caught by Henry Graes and Harvard's best scoring opportunity until late in the game went for naught.

The second half found many of the players spending their time on the slippery turf, but Penn's Len Daniels managed to remain afoot long enough to score the game's winning goal on a great pass from Florian Kempf.

With almost 17 minutes having elapsed in the half, Kempf placed the ball through a hole in the Crimson defense large enough for an Almeida bus, and a somewhat startled Daniels had only to push it past Herold for the score.

Sixteen minutes later Tim Mazzetti put some sort of curse on the ball and, from 30 yards away, spun it past a mesmerized Herold for a 2-0 advantage. The Harvard attack meanwhile, which managed but six shots all night on Graes, continued to have its problems, and a cold Halloween night in Philadelphia ended rather decisively in Penn's favor.