Administrator Edith Stedman Dies at Age 89

Edith Gratia Stedman, director of the Radcliffe Appointment Bureau for 24 years and an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (O B E), died on July 16, in Boston, at the age of 89.

As an administrator in what is now the Office of Career Placement, Miss Stedman was known as an excellent administrator, an innovator, and "as a friend to many students," Barbara L. Norton '38, executive secretary of the Radcliffe Alumni Association, said yesterday.

Miss Stedman initiated job training programs for Harvard-Radcliffe students during the depression, and organized a business management course for women that became the Harvard Business School's Personnel Training Course when women were granted admission in 1964.

During the 20 years following her retirement from the University, Stedman led a movement in England for the restoration of the Dorchester Abbey, Dorchester-on-Thames, and in 1977 was made an Honorary Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire for her efforts.

"She was extremely kind," added Norton, for whom Stedman found employment during the depression. "She was very helpful to students and made friends everywhere...yes, she'll be remembered."