Dartmouth Minorities Outline Sexism and Racism Charges

More than 1200 Dartmouth College students gathered yesterday to hear spokesmen air grievances about the status of minorities at the college.

The executive committee of the college cancelled classes to allow the meeting. A coalition of students from different minority groups and the Inter-fraternity Council planned the day to educate students about the needs of minorities and to calm the tension the issue has recently provoked.

John Kemeny, president of Dartmouth, urged more communication among college factions. Racial tensions at Dartmouth stem from "ignorance and plain stupidity," he said.

Judy Aronson, a spokesman for a womens' group at Dartmouth, demanded establishment of a rape crisis center and criticized sexist attitudes prevalent on campus. Aronson received a standing ovation at the end of her address.

Spokesmen for Hispanic and Native American students criticized the lack of minority representation among students and faculty. The college's unofficial Indian symbol particularly offends Native American students, Lennie Pickard, spokesman for the college's 40 Native American students, said yesterday.

James deFrantz, president of the school's Afro-American Association, said yesterday, "Racism is woven into the fabric of the Dartmouth community. It is a living hell for black students and minority students. A strong message is conveyed to all black students: you are not wanted here," he added.

Student reaction to the day's events was mixed. "The administration is not showing any real communication," Howard Kelly, a member of the Afro-American Association, said yesterday. "Some of us felt upset" when Kemeny left immediately after his speech, he said, adding it was "almost like an insult."

But Pickard said he is "very satisfied with the administration's response." He added that Kemeny had prior engagements which forced him to leave the meeting. Kemeny could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Thomas B. Roos '51, chairman of the subcommittee on agenda for the executive committee and a biology professor, said there is "remarkably little vituperation," although students spoke with passion and anger. "I think the administration is committed to doing something," he added.

People who focused on Kemeny's absence are too hierarchically oriented, Roos said. Yesterday's "general conversation" was a step towards more basic changes in attitudes at Dartmouth, he added