Greg Brown Named Football Captain; Callinan Gets Crocker MVP Award

Junior offensive tackle Greg Brown of Santa Ana, Calif. was named the 109th captain of the Harvard football team last night at the squad's annual dinner held at the Harvard Club of Boston.

Brown succeeds defensive back Peter Coppinger of Billerica, Mass.

Ivy

Dedicating the 1982 season to this year's seniors, Brown looked forward to his reign as captain with optimism. "I've got the title but we're all leaders," he said. "We've all got the same goal...Next year, I'll stake my life on this, nothing's going to hold these guys back."

The naming of the captain highlighted an agenda that also included the presentation of various awards to senior standouts. Fullback Jim Callinan, who rushed for a Harvard record 1054 yards this season, received the Frederick G. Crocker Award, symbolizing the team's most valuable player.

Awards

Mark Marion won the William LaCroix trophy, traditionally given to a non-starter because of his work and dedication; Brad Stinn received the Henry Lamar award for a "unique contribution to Harvard football;" and defensive back Rocky Delgadillo was given the Robert F. Kennedy award for "desire, determination and willingness to work."

Crying Wolf

In addition, defensive lineman Tom Clark received the Wolf award as the outstanding interior lineman, as selected by the coaches.

The ceremony also paid tribute to linebacker coach Alex Nahigian, who is leaving the football program to concentrate on his duties as baseball coach.

Previously, the ceremony introducing the captain had taken place during the annual luncheon at the Varsity Club. This is the first year it has been incorporated into the dinner.

Like Clockwork

Brown becomes the second lineman in three years to serve as captain--Chuck Durst, a defensive tackle, received the honor two years ago. This year's selection stands at 6-ft., 4-in. and weighs 225 pounds. He is a pitcher on the varsity baseball team, and hurled a no-hitter against Pennsylvania last spring.

Recommended Articles

Potysman Elected Crimson Captain
At its annual break-up dinner last night at the Harvard Club of Boston, the Crimson gridders announced that junior defensive
Coppinger Tapped Grid Captain
The Harvard football team elected junior defensive back Pete Coppinger its 108th captain at its annual selection ceremony yesterday at
Grimm Brings Depth to Defensive Line
He waits patiently, cautiously targeting his prey, waiting for the moment to strike. Without warning he disappears into the shadow
Honick Most Improved Lineman; Receives Tubby Clark Recognition
Chosen the most improved lineman of the year, senior offensive tackle Eric Honick has been awarded the first annual Tubby
Lacrosse Team Defeated Graduates
The University lacrosse team defeated a team composed of graduates in the Stadium, Saturday afternoon by the score of 3
Football Nabs 15 All-Ivy Honors
With the Ivy trophy in the bag, it’s time for the undefeated Harvard football team to collect some more hardware.