Gay Quarantine Urged

Speaker Cites AIDS Threat

Speaking at the invitation of the Harvard-Radcliffe Conservative Club, the head of a private research organization last night told an Emerson Hall audience that all homosexuals, prostitutes, and intravenous drug users whose blood carries the virus linked to AIDS should be quarantined.

"Our public health officials are endangering our lives by falling head over heels in love with gay rights," said Paul Cameron, chairman of the Nebraska-based Institute for the Scientific Investigation of Sexuality.

"It's time to get the liberals to start thinking about their fannies and stop thinking about civil rights. More people on this campus will die from homosexuality than anything else short of a thermonuclear war," he said.

In an impassioned 40-minute speech, Cameron blamed homosexuals for spreading the deadly disease around the world and called for a system of blood testing to isolate carriers of the AIDS virus.

"I'm talking about quarantining a half-million, a million, even a million and a half people," he said. "At some point a quarantine will no longer appear possible. Then China's solution will enter the public's consideration."

What is "China's solution," a member of the audience asked.

"Anyone caught in a homosexual act is summarily executed," Cameron replied.

AIDS, acquired immune deficiency syndrome, has been traced to a sexually-transmitted virus. Recent studies have found that the disease can be transmitted among heterosexuals.

The disease breaks down the body's natural immune defenses, eventually causing death in every case. However, not every person who carries the virus automatically develops AIDS symptoms, scientists have found.

The psychologist's remarks drew a mixed response from the audience of about 30, which included students in an expos class assigned to attend the speech as well as Conservative Club members.

Students challenged Cameron in a combative question and answer session following the speech, while others privately mocked his views.

At the end of the event, Cameron asked students to pick up packets of his pamphlets before leaving, but only three paid for the booklet