Stallone, Field Win Hasty Pudding Pots

By Shari Rudavsky

Cinematic icon Sylvester Stallone and Academy Award Winner Sally Field have been named the Hasty Pudding Theatricals Man and Woman of the Year, Pudding officials announced last week.

The celebrated pudding pots, which honor "a lasting and impressive contribution to the world of entertainment," will be awarded to the 1986 recipients in separate ceremonies next month.

Field is scheduled to collect her prize at the Pudding's Holyoke St. headquarters after leading a parade through Harvard Square on February 11. Stallone will receive his award onstage February 18 before the premiere performance of the acting troupe's musical comedy, "Between the Sheiks."

The annual honorees are selected by the Pudding's producers and officers. Pudding spokesman Joshua A. Berger '88 said Field and Stallone were the organization's first choices, but some Pudding members voiced dissatisfaction with the decision to honor Stallone.

Rocky Choice

"A few people were gagging," said one Pudding member, who requested anonymity. "Everybody either really hates him or is like, 'Wow, I can't wait.'"

"I am not real pleased to have to be associated with a group that decided to honor him," said Cathy Rosenholtz '87, master carpenter for the troupe's current production. Rosenholtz said she will not participate in the award ceremony.

"As a pacifist, I am interested in peaceful relations with other countries. I don't think Stallone's attitude is peaceful," she said.

Stallone's creation, "Rocky," received the 1976 Best Picture Award and spawned three sequels. However, the latest Rocky picture and the phenomenally successful "Rambo" movies have drawn critical opprobrium and sparked an international controversy during the past year.

Many viewers, including moviegoers in the Kremlin, criticized the pictures as jingoistic and excessively violent.

Pudding President Leonard W. Dick '86 said that Stallone was chosen not for his opinions but because he is "the biggest name in entertainment this year."

"Stallone has developed his own film genre. Hehas created national and international filmheros." Dick said. "There hasn't been a film herosince the Lone Ranger that has had the kind ofappeal he has."

Stallone is on his honeymoon at an undisclosedlocation and could not be reached for comment. HisHollywood publicist, Paul Bloch, said Stallone islooking forward to his first visit to a university"he has great respect for."

Among Pudding members, Field's selection met aless divided reception. "She's a giant in herindustry," Dick said. "She's one of the few femalepersonalities who have captured the attention andhearts of America."

"I am thrilled," Field's agent Lynn Rodbenquoted her as saying. "I have long wanted to visitthe campus, and what better way than in an openlimo?"

Field has been a well-known actress since the1960's when she starred in "The Flying Nun" and"Gidget." She won two Best Actress Academy Awardsfor her lead roles in "Norma Rae" and last year's"Places of the Heart."

At the 1985 Academy Awards, Field endearedherself to millions, gushing, "You like me!"

She has also received an Emmy award for herportrayal of "Sybil" in the television movie ofthat name.

The Woman of the Year Award is now in its 25thyear. Past recipients include Katherine Hepburn,Elizabeth Taylor, Meryl Streep, Joan Rivers, andCher.

In 1967, the Pudding established a parallelaward for male entertainers. Recipients includeJames Stewart, Robert Redford, Dustin Hoffman,Steven Spielberg, and Bill Murray