Weld Beats Silber In Tight Governor's Race

Rallies Draw Many Students

From staunch conservatives to loyal Democrats, about 100 college students flocked to John R. Silber's headquarters at the Boston Sheraton to wait out the election results.

Students had praise for Silber's campaign ranging from his stance on abortion to his notoriously tough talk. One sober supporter who works for Greenpeace even linked his support to Silber's environmental policy, which the candidate refused to discuss. When asked what this policy might be, the supporter said he "hadn't realy heard...but he trusted Silber to speak the truth."

During the long night, Siber was compared to Republican Sen. Jesse Helms (N.C.), who won reelection last night. Joe Ryan, president of College Democrats of Massachusetts, even likened Silber to "Herbert Hoover, who for some time was president of Princeton." Ryan predicted that if "the U.S. falls into a recession" Silber would be a great candidate for president in 1996. "I would work for him in 1996, and he would have a good chance if Dan Quayle runs--anyone could beat Quayle."

While the polls oscillated throughout the night, B.U. students pondered the future of their president. One senior said early in the evening that she "could see Silber packaged for president of the U.S.," while her friend from Boston College said that if Silber returns to B.U. "opposition will increase."

B.U. sophomore Kent Chatterji, treasure of College Democrats of America, said he was not sure Silber would come back to the school after the election. "His candidacy has helped the school, but it is time for a new president,"

There weren't many surprises at the John Kerry headquarters in the Copley Plaza Hotel last night. The main attraction was the band, which played in a pink, 20-foot tall scallop shell. But the exuberant party next door for newly elected state treasurer Joe Malone '78 reportedly pulled guests from the Kerry contingent. Malone's opponent, William F. Galvin, conceded his loss at 9:30 p. m. The only excitement at his party was the homemade brownies, which drew many Silber supporters a way from the television monitors in the main room.

Jim Rappaport, who spent $4 million of this own funds on his unsuccessful bid for a U.S. Senate seat, apparently had a bit of a cash flow problem for his final election party. In contrast to his earlier func- tions, where the alcohol and food flowedfreely, this final gathering featured a cash bar,and the food offerings featured a cash bar, andthe food offerings were limited to cheese,crackers and some limp potato chips.

Although the situation looked bleak forRappaport, Johnny Johnson, a loyal staffer, vowed,"I won't be happy until he's in the white House.