Woman Tenured At Law School

University of Pennsylvania legal scholar Elizabeth Warren has been appointed the Leo Gottlieb Professor of Law at Harvard Law School, University officials announced yesterday.

Warren, who taught at the law school as a visiting professor during the spring of 1993, said yesterday the offer had been available since that time, but added that family circum-stances had kept her from accepting the position until now.

Warren will become the tenth women professor at the law school, which has more than 80 professors on its faculty.

In recent years, the Law School has been criticized for its low number of women faculty. The issue sparked wide-spread student protest in 1992 and 1993. However, Warren's appointment comes as the latest in a series of recent women faculty hires.

Warren, who will begin teaching a course on credit in the fall, said she will come to Cambridge tomorrow to begin searching for a residence here. Her husband, Bruce H. Mann, is a visiting professor at the University of Pennsylvania, and will remain in Philadelphia, she said.

"Our younger child just left for college," Warren said. "Welcome to the nineties, and the joys of the two career couple," she joked.

In a press release issued yesterday, Dean of the Law School Robert C. Clark praised Warren's appointment.

"Liz Warren is a spectacular addition to our faculty," he said. "She is a leading scholar in the fields of bankruptcy and commercial law, and she is one of the rare legal academics to have devoted herself to a large-scale empirical research project of great relevance to legal policy making."

Warren, who was very popular with students during her visit here in 1993, was awarded with a University of Pennsylvania teaching award last year.

Warren said yesterday that she looks forward to arguing with students and fellow faculty members at Harvard Law School.

"You can tell people who are born to be lawprofessors," she said. "They think argument is thehighest form of entertainment."

Warren received a J.D. in 1976 from RutgersUniversity and a B.S. in communication disordersin 1970 from the University of Houston. She taughtat the University of Houston from 1978 to 1983 andat the University of Texas from 1983 to 1987before going to Pennsylvania.

She is an executive board member of the Councilof the American Law Institute and of the NationalBankruptcy Conference. She has testified severaltimes before Congress on credit issues