Council Nixes Sister Hazel

By James Y. Stern

Sister Hazel is out; student bands are in.

After being outbid for the rock group by an unnamed Texas college, the Undergraduate Council voted 57-to-8 last night to put the $20,000 originally slotted to bring Sister Hazel to this year's Springfest back into its coffers.

"It's fair to say the council will be moving toward student performance groups," said council President Beth A. Stewart '00 after last night's meeting.

Council members had originally proposed bringing Sister Hazel to Harvard on Saturday, April 25. When Stewart announced late last week that the band was unavailable for the Saturday performance, some council members suggested moving Springfest to Sunday, April 26.

The council rejected the plan to change Springfest's date last night.

Before the vote was taken, Stewart said a Sunday event would not work because of poor attendance, because there could be no alcohol and because "you don't mess with Sunday brunch."

Stewart called for a Springfest with more of a Harvard-focus," describing a day of interhouse competition with activities such as a "joust" or a "sugar cookie eating contest."

The day would culminate in an outdoor movie shown on a movie screen in the MAC quad, Stewart added, suggesting "a much-loved '80s film like `Dazed and Confused.'"

Not all council members approved of council's decision.

"I think it's totally characteristic of Harvard that no one cares about social life," said M. Daniel Hughes '01, a council member. "People ought to go out to see Sister Hazel and get trashed."

"No one's going to want to come out to see the Krok[odiloe]s or the Opportunes," Hughes added.

While he admitted that "almost no one" on the council shares his sentiment about bringing Sister Hazel, Hughes said the organization spends too much of its funding on student groups and not enough money gener- ating its own social activities.

"My parents met at an Ike and Tina Turnerconcert at the University of Georgia--it'simportant," Hughes said. "General college sociallife is missing at Harvard."

Hughes also said the council will losecredibility with students after going back on itsannouncement to bring Sister Hazel.

Stewart defended the council and blamed itsinability to secure Sister Hazel on its"continuing and debilitating funding problem."

"Some podunk college in Texas with anendowment, which I can assure you is smaller thanthat of Harvard, managed to scrape together moremoney than we could," Stewart said.

She proposed a solution to these fundingissues, asking the council to invest $15,000 ofthe money slated for Sister Hazel to create anendowment for the council.

Stewart said her plan would allow the councilto stop "putting Band-Aids on machete wounds."

The council is expected to take up the matterin the weeks to come