Album Review: As Time Goes By by Bryan Ferry

Bryan Ferry has always loved doing cover versions. On the Roxy Music lead singer's first two solo albums (These Foolish Things and Another Time Another Place), he imbibed casual-distant cool into such songs as "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes." As Time Goes By goes even further back in time, revisiting the fundamental things in the form of old jazz standards, including Cole Porter tracks ("Miss Otis Regrets") and of course the title track.

The problem is, the album doesn't swing. Ferry's winking suaveness would seem perfectly suited to these tunes, but instead Ferry merely comes across as an oddly restrained lounge singer, tired of singing the same songs for the umpteenth time. There's none of the gusto or the delicious abandon of his other covers, and the minimal production on the album doesn't help matters: the horns never are quite brassy enough, and Ferry's voice sounds muted at points. Instead of being languidly wistful, as one presumes he intended, "Falling in Love Again" and "Where or When" is merely sluggish. Perhaps we've heard these standards so often it's hard to be excited by these decidedly ordinary interpretations. Still, Ferry's voice remains rich and true; on that you can rely. B --

Recommended Articles

Hoopsters Tune Up for Slate, Set Sights on League Crown
The more you think about it, the more unlikely it seems. Harvard has never won an Ivy League basketball title,
Freshman Duo Dazzle in Preseason
At men's varsity basketball practice, the message is emblazoned on the back of every red and white reversible jersey: "HARD
Accidents Will Happen
It was the injury that could not happen. He was the player who could not get hurt, not if the
Wildcats Claw Icewomen, 8-0
Harvard center Johanna Neilson tumbled to the ice while clutching her aching stomach. The problem wasn't the Cabot House food
Education in the Houses
In recent months there has been so much discussion of physical growth at Harvard that the scholastic implications of expansion
Frosh of the Year
Harvard basketball freshman Ralph James was named the Ivy League "Rookie of the Year" yesterday. James, who led the Crimson