Damon Hosts Cultural Rhythms

Student performers danced, sang, and occasionally exchanged kisses with host Matt Damon, Class of 1992, at the annual Cultural Rhythms festival.

"I've been kissed more tonight than I was in college," Damon joked.

A capacity crowd filled Sanders Theater Saturday for the event, which was sponsored by the Harvard Foundation for Intercultural and Race Relations and featured performances by

17 student groups.

At the event, the Foundation named Damon "Cultural Artist of the Year" for his humanitarian efforts working to help disadvantaged children and increase AIDS awareness.

Damon also signed a petition to show his support for the movement to create an ethnic studies concentration at Harvard.

Most of the student performers wore green ribbons in support of the cause.

"We still lack an academic structure that studies ethnicity in America," Tri M. Phuong '02 explained, saying Cultural Rhythms was an ideal time to spread the ethnic studies message.

Recommended Articles

Talented Mr. Damon To Host Cultural Rhythms
Actor Matt Damon, Class of 1992, will return to Harvard this Saturday to be honored as the Cultural Artist of
Foundation Defends Choice of Damon as Show Host
Students at last night's dress rehearsal for the Cultural Rhythms performance festival expressed mixed reactions to the news that Oscar
Moving Past Skin-Deep Culture
Although Matt Damon's hosting Cultural Rhythms is fortunately no longer the hot protest ticket du jour, the engines of racialism
The Informant!
Remember the fake nose that Matt Damon wore in “Ocean’s Thirteen”? The 30 extra pounds he sports in Steven Soderbergh’s
Q&A With Peter Gammons
It’s a rare opportunity for fans of America’s pastime to pick the brain of one of the great baseball storytellers of the 20th Century, but that’s exactly what a captivated crowd at the First Church of Cambridge Congregational’s Lindsay Chapel had the opportunity to do last Thursday when Hall of Fame sports writer Peter Gammons came to speak.
Matt Damon, Harvard Style