For Garcia, New Beginning at End

Switch to defensive line gives fresh start to former Fla. St. recruit

By Sean W. Coughlin, Contributing Writer

If it weren’t for being kicked off his high school football team, Brian Garcia probably wouldn’t be at Harvard.

Garcia—the Crimson’s standout junior defensive end—was a highly sought-after high school prospect at Tampa Catholic, recruited by such powerhouses as Florida State and Georgia Tech.

Until, that is, he ran into some disciplinary issues his senior year and was suspended from the team.

“Being from Florida, it was all about Miami, Florida and, of course, Florida State from the beginning,” Garcia says. “I really wanted to go to FSU.”

But after his suspension, the Seminoles’ interest waned.

“I had to tell the coach [Bobby Bowden] that I got kicked off my team,” Garcia says. “After that, the big programs stopped calling.”

But Garcia has turned what was once a heartbreaking situation into a positive.

“It opened up the doors for Harvard, and I’m glad,” Garcia says. “I never looked back from there.”

Garcia’s initial Harvard experience was stellar.

“I visited Harvard and it was out-of-this world for me. I had never experienced anything like it,” he says. “One night, I was lying awake and it hit me—go to Harvard.”

Although the story of Garcia’s arrival at Harvard seems cosmically fated, his first two years here didn’t align quite as well. Garcia has run into his share of obstacles.

Injuries plagued his first two years here. In 2001, his first Crimson campaign, Garcia was nicked up with shoulder problems and suffered a sprained ankle in mid-season. Last year, in only the Crimson’s third preseason practice, he suffered a stress fracture in his left foot. The injury sidelined him for nearly six weeks.

“Recovering from the injury was tough, but not so much the physical aspects. Mentally it was really hard,” Garcia says. “Once I got back on the sidelines, everything was just too fast. I’d been away from the action too long.”

A lack of playing time initially hampered Garcia psychologically, as well.

“I had a really tough time adjusting to not starting,” Garcia says.

Garcia has matured much since those days and, after languishing as the third-string tight end last season, he’s adjusted to a more prominent role in the defensive line rotation.

“It’s a maturing process. You begin to realize that it’s the best thing to do. That it’s the best thing for the team,” Garcia says.

While Garcia’s outlook has changed for the better, he is also beginning to come into his own on the field.

Garcia stepped up big in the Crimson’s first three contests this year. His critical third-quarter interception earned him the defensive game ball versus Brown, and he also forced a potentially game-saving fumble in Harvard’s loss to Lehigh.

The Crimson coaching staff expects more outstanding performances from Garcia.

“Brain Garcia should have a huge year,” says defensive line coach Eric Westerfield. “I’m looking forward to seeing him progress.”

Garcia has mixed feelings about his coaches’ high expectations.

“It puts pressure on me because they expect so much,” Garcia says. “But it inspires me because I know they believe in me.”

Garcia has found his niche, for now, behind senior defensive end Mike Armstrong. After seeing so little action last year, becoming a part of the regular defensive line mix was a big goal for him in 2002.

“I just wanted to move into the rotation and start to make a name for myself in the Ivy League,” Garcia says.

Garcia has benefited from the experience of the Armstrong.

“At most we have a friendly competition. He’s always there to help me out. We have a good off-the-field relationship as well,” Garcia says.

While Garcia certainly seems to be coming into his own, a twist was added to his story this fall as his younger brother, first-year linebacker, Gary, joined the Crimson. The elder Garcia is all-too excited to see his brother suit up next to him.

“It’s crazy how we both ended up going to school together, especially at a place like Harvard,” he says. “It brings a smile to my face to see him out on the field.”

While it seems fate brought Brian to Harvard straight from Tampa, Gary spent a year after high school at Phillips Andover to hone his skills.

“He’s a very dedicated athlete,” Garcia says.

Both Garcias grew up with an appreciation of the gridiron. “All my uncles were high school or college football players and my Dad loved the game,” Garcia says.

Garcia’s father, in fact, was the one who initially urged him to get involved in football in high school.

“My father told me, ‘You’re only in high school once, go out for everything,’” recalls Garcia. “I just kind of chose football.”

Having never played football before, the former soccer player recalls, “I loved soccer, but I just got too big for it.”

A twist of fate brought Garcia to football first, and Harvard second. What does the future hold for the budding talent from South Florida?

“First of all we have a tough next seven games,” Garcia said. “After college, who knows? My dad’s a stock broker. I kind of like that game.”

The Crimson faithful will have to wait and see what’s in the cards for Brian Garcia. One thing is for sure, however. If he keeps playing like he has the past three Saturdays, the future will be very bright.

—Contributing writer Sean W. Coughlin can be reached at coughl@fas.harvard.edu.