Rice Elucidates Policy in Africa

Former Secretary of State discusses American international policy

By Matthew M. Beck, Contributing Writer

In an address that drew from her background in academia and politics, former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice discussed the “ups and downs” of U.S. and international policy towards Africa last night at the Institute of Politics.

Emphasizing the need for African nations to maintain their sovereignty and the relationship between African independence and international stability, Rice criticized American foreign policy in the region.

Rice, who served as national security advisor and secretary of state under President George W. Bush, spoke about her trips to Africa, noting that the continent has not always received the international aid it needs.

”One of the saddest things I saw when we went to Rwanda was when I visited the genocide museum and saw a note written by a little boy that said ‘Don’t worry, the U.N. is coming.’ And of course the U.N. never came,” she said.

The United States has encountered difficulties in developing a policy that balances both humanitarian ideals and the desire to spread democracy to unstable nations, Rice said.

“When we try to think of American policy in terms of interests, we miss the fact that the U.S. is a deeply ideological country,” she said. “America is first and foremost an idea. We are not bound by religion, ethnicity, or nationality.”

But Rice, currently a professor of political science at the Stanford Graduate School of Business, questioned the strength of U.S. policy in the region, particularly with the growing influence of China.

While China will be a factor in Africa’s future, according to Rice, she also added that “the important question is if African leaders will hold China accountable.”

Rice called on citizens of African nations to demand accountability from their own governments as well.

“It is high time that Africans take responsibility for where Africa is going,” she said. “You will not have democratic governments for very long if they cannot help the people.”

Audience members praised Rice, both for her speech and for her achievements.

“Her character is second to none,” said Kip C. Christianson ’13, a member of the Harvard Republican Club. “She is a worthy inspiration to all people regardless of their backgrounds.”

Chenie Yoon, a Harvard Kennedy School student in attendance, said she appreciated Rice’s support of young women who are pursuing careers in public policy.

“I think for Condoleezza Rice to come to the school and tell us to go for it is such an inspiration for young women interested in politics.”

IOP