Alum Funds Public Service Fellowship

By Zoe A. Y. Weinberg, Crimson Staff Writer

Harvard Law School has announced ten new fellowships to support students entering the public sector after graduating this year as part of the school’s efforts to promote public service careers.

Media mogul Sumner M. Redstone ’44, who is also a 1947 graduate of the Law School, donated $1 million to Harvard College and the Law School to establish a total of 30 scholarships for students dedicated to public service.

The Law School will distribute $500,000 to 10 students pursuing work in the public sector after they graduate this spring, Dean of the Law School Martha L. Minow said.

The fellowship is intended to fund one year of service work and can be used to supplement income in public sector jobs.

Recipients must have public service work lined up before graduation and must submit a proposed budget.

“I have experienced firsthand the culture of excellence and public service that is a fundamental tradition of these schools,” Redstone said in a Law School press release.

Redstone is the executive chairman of media conglomerate Viacom, which includes MTV Networks, BET Networks, and Paramount Pictures.

Over the past year, the Law School has unveiled multiple new initiatives to support students entering the public sector.

In February, the Law School announced the creation of a new Public Service Venture Fund, which will provide graduating students with grant funding for work in nonprofits or government. This fund replaced the Public Service Initiative, a pilot program that waived third year tuition for students who committed to five years of public service work.

In November, Minow also established 12 Holmes Fellowships for public service work, with which the Redstone fellowships share many features and stipulations.

Minow said she believes that the Redstone fellowships “amplify” the school’s commitment and ability to fund students’ public service work.

“This man, who is a man of great vision and leadership, heard our request,” she said, noting the increased demand from students for support for public service work.

At the College, the gift will fund scholarships for the upcoming school year for 20 students who have demonstrated a commitment to the public service and ideals of President John F. Kennedy.

“As the fiftieth anniversary of John F. Kennedy’s presidency nears, we reflect on how his influence sparked an era of optimism, activism and national service,” Redstone said in a press release. “I have established these scholarships to help celebrate President Kennedy’s spirit by fostering a focus on education and a renewed commitment to public service.”

Redstone also gave $500,000 to his high school, the Boston Latin School.

This gift marks Redstone’s largest contribution to the Law School, and Minow said that his philanthropy “speaks volumes of his recognition of education and public service.”

Harvard Law School